Even as the coronavirus pandemic is taking a massive toll on jobs, there is one sector that is still hiring. Certain tech sector jobs are not only safe but also witnessing recruitment. App developer, systems engineer, systems analyst, data scientist etc. are some of the positions that are witnessing incremental hiring thanks to a rise in tech dependence in the time of Covid-19.
The coronavirus crisis is not only affecting us socially but also leading to a dramatic shift in work culture. Virtual meeting apps like Zoom and Google Meet, workflow management systems, cloud technology etc. have witnessed a surge in usage as businesses are increasingly reorienting themselves to adjust to the new reality of the remote workstation.
At the same time, there has been a huge escalation in the use of e-commerce apps, food delivery apps, education apps and portals, online entertainment, medical consultation apps etc. as people find themselves stuck at home with a need to rely on online facilities for everything from food and medicine to entertainment. This is fuelling a corresponding growth in tech-related hiring as companies struggle to keep up with online demand.
This trend is highlighted by data from ZipRecruiter which reveals three times more tech-related hiring in California compared to a year ago which could be indicative of a global trend. What’s more, as the future of the pandemic is still uncertain, hiring is likely to continue for the next few months.
Types of Jobs in the Tech Sector
With advancements in computing, IT has grown to be a huge field that encompasses everything from hardware and software to peripheral equipment. Sectors like telecom, gaming, banking, e-commerce, online education and web-based entertainment have also grown to become an essential part of the larger tech universe.
All this opens up the possibility for candidates to find work with a variety of core and non-core companies. Here is a list of some popular IT jobs that candidates like you may consider:
- Mobile app developer
- Information security analyst
- Web developer
- Cloud solutions architect
- Applications security architect
- Hardware engineer
- Network administrator
- DevOps engineer
- Data engineer
- IT manager
- Database administrator
- User interface designer
Remember that this is only a small sample from among hundreds of jobs that are available in the IT field. Careers are also available for non-tech candidates in departments such as marketing and sales, HR, finance, project management etc. if they wish to participate in a growing and dynamic industry.
IT jobs are great for people who are introverts, geeks, or those who enjoy challenges! Achieving success in this field requires a great deal of passion as employees are often required to work dedicatedly for long hours over months to solve complex problems or meet project deadlines.
Here is a list of soft skills that employers generally look for while hiring IT talent:
- Analytical ability
- Communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving ability
The right combination of soft skills can ensure you reach the top industry echelons provided you are equipped with the right technical qualifications.
As IT is a specialised field, candidates are required to possess the requisite qualifications to stand a realistic chance of getting hired. Below we will discuss some popular IT jobs as well as the technical requirements for the positions.
- Mobile App Developer: Minimum qualification is a bachelor’s degree in mobile application development, mobile computing, software engineering, computer science or other programming-related fields.
- Information Security Analyst: Minimum requirement is a bachelor’s degree in information assurance, computer science, programming, or any associated field. Candidates may also opt for an MBA in information security to increase their chances of getting hired.
- Web Developer: Candidates usually require a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Candidates who do not possess a degree may opt for certifications like Microsoft Certified Professional Developer to help them get a job.
- Cloud Solutions Architect: Candidates require a bachelor’s degree in computer science or an associated field. A master’s degree could be a prerequisite to work in some companies. You may also seek the membership of a professional organisation like the Cloud Computing Association to lend some heft to your CV.
- Applications Security Architect: This position requires the candidate to have 5-10 years of relevant experience. Candidates may start off with a bachelor’s degree in computer science or software engineering, work in information technology and application security to gather some experience, obtain a relevant certification (like ‘Certified Information Systems Security Professional’ or ‘Certified Ethical Hacker’), before applying to the position of an applications security architect.
- Hardware Engineer: A degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering or an associated field is usually required for this job. Candidates may also require a master’s degree for senior levels or to work on advanced technologies.
While the tech sector employment outlook looks relatively encouraging currently, it is also a prudent career move from a long-term perspective with 5G, AI and machine learning, Internet of Things etc. ready to usher in the next stage of the digital revolution. Hence the world is likely to see a pronounced shift towards greater technology adoption bringing a wealth of opportunities for IT workers in its wake.
At the same time, employees will need to ensure that they stay relevant in the job market by constantly updating their skills. The best IT professionals are those who are lifelong learners with the ability to spot new opportunities and prepare for them. IT is changing the world at a rapid pace, but the greatest change is happening within the IT industry itself where new technologies are replacing old ones every couple of years or so. Are you ready to join a dynamic and exciting industry that is on course to change the world?
Looking for a job in the IT sector? We can help. Log on to innovationuae.com to find jobs that match your skills.