Lost Your Job Due to Covid-19? Here Are 5 Tips to Help You Find One ASAP

Like what you’re reading?

Share it on your social feed:

Finding a good job takes time. A Randstad US survey found that it takes an average of five months to land a good job. Yet, not everyone can afford to dedicate half a year to job search, especially at a time like the present. Professionals that have been laid off due to the Covid-19 pandemic need to urgently find new jobs to sustain themselves.

Flexibility is Important

Job seekers looking for urgent placements need to start by being flexible in their job search. Flexibility in this context may mean different things including the willingness to explore different jobs, being open to relocation, or a readiness to work odd hours such as night shifts. This widens and the net and opens up many more opportunities in terms of your job hunt.

Fast-Tracking Your Job Search

If you have lost your job due to the pandemic, your priority should be to get your career back on track. The following tips can help you speed up your search while increasing the odds of landing a job, to help you re-enter the workforce within the shortest possible time.

1. Know What You Want

Job seekers must have a clear idea of what they want. Why? Because it can help them identify a good job opportunity when it comes. Even in a situation where it is essential to be flexible, it can help you ascertain how far you are straying by acting as a benchmark. Your model job could take into account any number of parameters including skill set, salary, location, brand image, organisational culture, growth opportunities and so on.

2. Update Your Details

Don’t be in such a tearing hurry that you forget to update your details! Before embarking on a job hunt, ensure that you have updated your CV and LinkedIn profile so that employers can vet your application. Irrespective of how many years of experience you have, keep your CV short and succinct. Don’t be embarrassed about an employment gap but make it a point to include all the volunteer work, temporary jobs, skill development courses etc. you have taken to demonstrate to the employer that you have been productive.

3. Research Available Jobs

The better the match between the job description and your job profile, the greater your chances of getting the job. Devote most of your time to your job search endeavour. Focus on jobs that closely match your profile but be ready to compromise on salary, location, work hours etc. in the interest of quick placement.

Enclosing a cover letter with your applications will help it to stand out. Create customised cover letters for each application and tailor your CV to the job requirements to increase your chances of getting the interview call.

4. Networking

This is potentially the most effective way to get a good job in a short duration. Though it may be difficult, ensure that you inform your family and friends about your job seeker status and explain to them that you would be grateful for any leads. Find out if any of your friends have businesses that could use your skills. Visit industry events like seminars on a regular basis to meet new people and cultivate contacts, and ask your friends for referrals in case there are vacancies in their organisations.

It is said that only 30% of job vacancies are advertised while the other 70% is filled without being listed on any public platform, such as newspapers and job boards, through contacts and references. Networking is the most effective way to tap into this hidden market.

5. Be Open to Temping

The current downturn is leading many employers to prefer temporary workers over permanent employees. Opting for temps allows employers to increase or decrease their labour intake as per market conditions. From an employee standpoint, temping is an excellent opportunity to earn a living and remain an active part of the workforce. Later, when a permanent job does materialise, employees can always terminate the temporary contract in favour of the new job. If you have been laid off due to the pandemic and are interested in finding temporary work, click here to register yourself.

Striking a Balance

Despite the urgency of your job search, try not to appear desperate as it always raises a red flag in the minds of employers. It may leave them wondering why you were let go, what type of relationship you shared with your manager, lead them to doubt your competency etc. Furthermore, try to prioritise jobs where you are a good fit because it is where you are most likely to succeed. Your ability to balance urgency with your professional profile and background will be crucial in this regard.

Looking for a job? We can help. Just fill up the form below to get in touch.

Speak to our team today

Ready to take the next step? Discover how we can help you with staffing and recruitment solutions tailored to your business needs.

Company inquiries only.